Active Topics Active Topics  Display List of Forum Members Memberlist  Invert Forum Background Colours Invert Colours  Search The Forum Search  Help Help  Register Register  Login Login
Sponsored by Beatnik Games
Games Forum
 |SFH| Sent From Hell :: Community Forums : Games Forum
Subject Topic: New Monkey Island games confirmed (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
|SFH|gama_k
Site Admin
Site Admin

Deputy Clan Leader

Posted: 02 June 2009 at 7:32am | IP Logged  

Cant wait for these new Monkey Island games to come out the old games were brilliant, hopefully these will be just as good.

Rumours that The Secret of Monkey Island might be coming to the Xbox Live Arcade may, it seems, have been drastically understated. Today Lucasarts revealed plans for a full remake of the original game would be coming to the Xbox 360, as well as a new series of adventure games based on the series.

In other news, Joe just died of happiness.

According to the announcement, Lucasarts will be internally developing a The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition for the Xbox 360 and the game will include totally new graphics, a newly remastered musical score and full voiceovers.

That's not all for Monkey Island either, as Lucasarts has confirmed it has teamed up with Telltale Games to produce a new series of episodic Monkey Island games too. It's a move laced with irony too as Telltale was originally formed by designers who left Lucasarts to make games based on Sam and Max after Lucas had seemed to abandon the genre.

The series, which is titled Tales of Monkey Island will be fully 3D and is scheduled to run for five episodes at least. It'll have Guybrush running all over the place as usual, this time trying to contain a voodoo pox that's turning everyone into zombie pirates. LeChuck is also confirmed to play a role, obviously.

The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition is for Xbox 360 and PC, while Tales of Monkey Island is confirmed for PC and WiiWare and set to debut on July 7th. Be warned though that the PC version of the Special Edition looks like it may be tied to Games for Windows Live.

youtube trailer here

hamble
Honourary Member
Honourary Member
Middle Eastern Terrorist

Posted: 02 June 2009 at 7:58am | IP Logged  

While I would be one of the first to stand up and say 'MONKEY ISLAND I & II WERE AND ARE AMAZING!!' I have to say that the graphics on this new 3D version look like a load of Wii crap, completely betraying the amazing, truly artistic graphics of the 2D adventures. Alright, I may be getting a bit ahead of myself here based on a short trailer, but why oh why can't they do a truly beautiful, artistic 3D version of the games, like the new Prince of Persia or something? The Monkey Islands were lush and detailed – this trailer looks neither. And they got more characterisation and comedy from 2D characters than they do from 3D!

Also I never much liked the American Guybrush voice, but that's a different gripe.

In the meantime, I will happily replay 1 and 2 on the SCUMM system on me Mac. Happy Days!

Edited by hamble on 02 June 2009 at 7:59am
Back to Top View hamble's Profile Search for other posts by hamble Visit hamble's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Razzi
Clan Member
Clan Member

Guild Officer

Posted: 02 June 2009 at 10:02am | IP Logged  

You just made my head spin for the rest of the day and I still have an exam to do in 3 hours. Damn you!

Note to self: never visit this page on exam day.

Back to Top View Razzi's Profile Search for other posts by Razzi Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Nhumrod
Site Admin
Site Admin
Clan Leader & GM

Posted: 02 June 2009 at 10:20am | IP Logged  

What I want to know is why do they have to make it 3D?!?!

|SFH|gama_k
Site Admin
Site Admin

Deputy Clan Leader

Posted: 02 June 2009 at 10:53am | IP Logged  

remake of the original is still in 2d here, dont worry about the console versions just wait for the episodic series on the pc most likely sold through steam similar fashion to the sam and max series.

Grizzler
Site Admin
Site Admin

Janitor

Posted: 02 June 2009 at 4:13pm | IP Logged  

Aye, can't wait. I loved them ALL (yes in the 4th 3D one). First "episode" is coming out 7th of july

Back to Top View Grizzler's Profile Search for other posts by Grizzler Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

TheGouldFish
Honourary Member
Honourary Member
The Mapper

Posted: 05 June 2009 at 5:44pm | IP Logged  

The 3D ones are based on Telltales 3D engine that they have used for Bone, Sam and Max and StrongBad. All of which were PC before moving to any console, so the crappy 3D GFX is down to the engine and not any console (The Wii can produce so much better then what this engine can do).

But yeah for updated Monkey Island 1 and we will just have to see what the new 3D ones are like. For the record the new Sam and Max games were fun to play.

Back to Top View TheGouldFish's Profile Search for other posts by TheGouldFish Visit TheGouldFish's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

hamble
Honourary Member
Honourary Member
Middle Eastern Terrorist

Posted: 21 September 2009 at 5:34pm | IP Logged  

Now THIS is what a 3D Monkey Island game should look like, if there has to be one! Monkey Island CryEngine

Back to Top View hamble's Profile Search for other posts by hamble Visit hamble's Homepage Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Razzi
Clan Member
Clan Member

Guild Officer

Posted: 21 September 2009 at 6:31pm | IP Logged  

now that is awsome.

I still like the new Monkey games though.
Back to Top View Razzi's Profile Search for other posts by Razzi Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

yuriclaes
Clan Member
Clan Member
Beer Swigger

Posted: 21 September 2009 at 9:00pm | IP Logged  

I have to confess, i have no idea what these games are, never heard of em. :o

But this looks cool tho

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version