Active Topics Active Topics  Display List of Forum Members Memberlist  Invert Forum Background Colours Invert Colours  Search The Forum Search  Help Help  Register Register  Login Login
Sponsored by Beatnik Games
World of Warcraft Guides & Tips (Public)
 |SFH| Sent From Hell :: Community Forums : World of Warcraft Guides & Tips (Public)
Subject Topic: Gerbull’s Guide to "Grumpy Tanking" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Nhumrod
Site Admin
Site Admin
Clan Leader & GM

Posted: 29 July 2009 at 11:40am | IP Logged  

Hey guys this is just a lil post for all you Tanks and would be Tanks.

I have had my druid now for three years and when i first started out i had no clue what a tank was or that druids could be them. Throughout my WoW life ive been both tank and healer so i have a good idea of the average group mechanics and what to look out for, ok i didnt pay much attention all the tactics when resto but they all just come with practice.

I still consider myself to be an old fasioned tank and prefer the old days when crowd control (CC) was a must in any instance, but since WOTLK came out us tanks have to AOE tank virtually everywhere so this can make our job much tougher than it should be.

I've both PuG and Guild Tanked and to be honest with you there pretty much the same in some respects, you only get praise when things go well and typically your allways the first to be blamed when they don't.

For this reason i have set myself some rules that i like to follow, which tend to make things go a lil smoother.

1: YOUR'E in charge, DON'T let anyone in the party push you around, esp. the DPS because without you their ass is toast, but don't be afraid to listen to sugestions if your unsure about a pull.

2: Move at your own speed, don't let your self be pushed along with "go go go", at the end of the day if you have no rage or mana in a pallys case your not going to get the agro needed to do your job.

2a: The exception to this rule is if you happen to be grouped with a supercharged healer and you feel confident they can keep up.

3: Macros are your friend as some of you have grouped with me before youll know what i mean, heres three i really like using:

/rw Welcome to the art of "Grumpy" Tanking", Over agroing pisses me off so DONT do it, Please stick to the Kill Order {skull} >>> {cross} >>> {star} >>> {square} >>> {circle} Not following it could result in your death !

/readycheck

And heres a pull macro, this is usefull for those slack DPS who arent watching the screen but have sound on:, it also lets people know that your going to start combat.

/rw Pulling %t !!!

4: The use of a kill order is very usefull to any tank and healer alike, so long as your DPS lackys can manage to stick to it then the only person to take masses of damage will be yourself. This will make any instance seem like childs play and will make for a much smoother run, it also makes the DPS happy becaue there not dying and the healer happy because his job is much easier.

4a: Any DPS Lacky Dying as a result of not sticking to kill order has no one to blame but themselves, so long as you spamed your kill order macro to start with, you may need to give a gentle reminder to your group once in a while. ( I have kicked many a player in the past for constantly over agroing or complaining because they died !)

/rw Kill Order {skull} >>> {cross} >>> {star} >>> {square} >>> {circle}

4b: The exception to this is the Lowly Mage, their insane when it comes to AOE agro, thats why Blizzard gave EVERY mage an idiot proof "Ice BLock", mages die alot dont worry about them their used to it, and many will often admit their noobishness.

5: The Boss Fight ! your ONLY job here should be to keep agro on the boss, any adds that spawn are generally delt with by the dps, it shouldn't be your job to run around like a headless chicken chasing after them unless you and the healer are the only ones left alive.

Well there you go, i hope you find these rules of mine usefull in your tanking adventures, just remeber not to feel bad about yourself if the crap hits the fan.

If you have any questions feel free to post them on a reply to this thread.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version